Sunday, November 12, 2023

Several Quaint Vignettes etc. El Apartmento

Important break for sexy logger chicks:





If there is one thing the Biker loves, it's gore. Naturally, today's modern media is his playground.  Yet imagine my surprise when I found him watching episodes of 'Botched' from nine years ago!  This is generally not his jam. If it's medical, he'd prefer they show up on the autopsy table.  

Well, I took me a look.  "Aha," I thought after a few scenes. "He's watching this for glimpses of bare titty.  Good Lord. Straight men."

Then I took a second look. 

"Holy crap," I thought, doing more than my share of mental heavy lifting this particular evening "These are some familiar faces...?"

So I went online, and between my spotty memory and IMDB I was able to identify several aged 'third shepherd from the left' actors from the Seventies, a future Ru-girl, and a whole lotta potential for an excellent drinking game. From misused medical terms to poor special effects, from bad stage management to 'Didn't I see you playing Judith Lights' sisters' chauffeur on an episode of Columbo?" this show has it all, including more bad wigs than you can shake a can of Aqua Net at. There is scar tissue. There are bad body doubles. There are doctors who cannot tell the difference between a vagina and a hole in the

- yes well.

___________________________________

Since I am never going to have the chance to travel to all the places I want to go (everywhere, including the past) I love to go on Google Maps > street view and virtually roam.

One of the things I've realized doing this is just how fucking huge America really is.   

Another thing I've realized is how much of an accomplishment it was to cross all that bullshit in a covered wagon.  Both my grandparents (and their families) did that. Oh, and one uncle who was a Civil War deserter who fucking walked here.

Interesting story: they tried to conscript my uncle Karl right off the boat from Germany; and he said kthnxNO and booked it over the purple mountains' majesty and across the fruited plains. The dude went from New Orleans to Milwaukie Oregon afoot, folks. 2517 miles. Speaking no the English.  

My grandmother hid him out in an outbuilding when he arrived in the middle of Winter, and then in the Spring he went up the mountain and worked in the woods. You didn't have to know English to work in the woods. You just had to survive, and he sure in the fuck knew how to do that.  He survived knife fights, bare-knuckle bouts, strike breakers and rail bosses.  An old-growth cedar took him out. 

Not him. 

___________________________________________________ 

I was virtually visiting a tiny-tiny little place in the middle of my home state when I happened across a cemetery in the literal middle of nowhere. No town, no nothing. Not even a road that goes there any more. Just a collection of stones marking the graves of the few people who had settled and died on that land.  Those stones are as perfect as they day they were carved. No vandals have touched them. 1842 to 1902. A single family and their two servants. 

Dickens was still alive. Poe was still alive. Victoria BC was a clearing in the woods when these people were building their house and opening land to cultivate out along the Columbia River. They came from Germany to a place that no books of the day described truthfully. They had no idea of what to expect and plenty of opportunity for even their most conservative expectations to be crushed. They arrived to find country where the land is all horizon, where the wind is almost ceaseless, where no grass grows, where no trees relieve the view.

You think about the dreams those people had and the huge, huge distance that they travelled.  Maybe they were leaving something worse, and maybe here they found a place that might have, for a few years, made them happy.  You're glad they can't see that it all came to nothing.

They were killed by Indians.    

 


10 comments:

  1. Botched?!?!?!?! Good Lord...get him out of the house sweet cheeks!!!! It is rather gross the watch those people make botched fucked up messes of themselves, considering they looked far more attractive before hand.

    Family stories are something aren't they? It wasn't till 5 thanksgivings ago, my late aunt dropped the bomb of how my grandfather's side of the family was descendants of Arron Burr. Yes, dear, that Arron Burr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Straight men are a complete mystery to me. It almost as if they were a diferent species.

    The more I read your blog the more I find we have in common. We hare a love of old cookery books and gardening and now I find I share you feelings about travel and use Google maps in a simular way. I am also reasarching my familly tree and use Google maps to find the obscure Cornish villages that my familly came from and (walk) in their footsteps.

    Thank you for sharing a part of your familly hisory, It is amazing what people had to go through and the obticles thay overcame

    As for Mistress Maddie's Arron Burr, I must admit I had to google him to find out who he was. How fab to have an historic person in your tree, good or bad. In the mid 18th Century my lot where almost all Copper miners. By the way Arron Burr shares my birthday.

    Ttfn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us classy folks will always find common ground no matter the miles. Your folk were copper miners; mine were loggers. Salt of the earth. That's us. The backbone of civilization. Yup.

      Delete
  3. Straight men are also a mystery to me - and possibly to themselves.
    I also do the Google Maps thing, although I usually find myself traipsing around places I used to know and marvelling at how they've changed.
    I have been known to take myself off to the US - I think I went to New York - I got a bit lost, even though I was in a map.
    I am doing my family tree - it seems that everything changes, but nothing changes at all.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done the 'street view' in my old stomping grounds too. Here's the kicker though - almost nothing in my old home town has changed. Yes, a few big things, but on the main? It's freakin' spooky.

      Delete
  4. I raise a toast to the person who invented Google Streetview - it's a rabbit-hole into which one can easily fall for hours, but an enjoyable one. I also raise a toast to your plucky relative - he walked 2517 miles, and at the end he got Portland. Which has a suburb called Boring, by the way. Mind you, it is the home town of house faves Pink Martini, so it must have something?! Jx

    PS The name Aaron Burr was a mystery to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have you know that Boring Oregon is home to the North American Bigfoot Center, you. Boring Oregon is also sister city to Dull, Scotland and Bland, Australia in what has been called the Trinity of Tedium.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't be surprised if our families crossed paths or even walked a few hundred miles together. I'm like a show horse with all the proper papers confirming that my descendants successfully survived the Oregon Trail without dying of dysentery or starvation. My maternal grandma did a lot of genealogy before she passed and put it all in tidy binders to which I was bestowed some years ago.

    My dad's side of the family is shady af. Part of me wants to do a DNA test, but I don't like that by doing so you're giving away the information to the company that might sell it to some even shadier company. The government already took my DNA so future wars might be fought by replicas of me. Should we be scared? It makes me think of the thought-provoking book Never Let Me Go By Kazuo Ishiguro.

    ReplyDelete