Ok that's enough, that's not why I'm here.
I'm here to
HANG OUT WITH SWEATY PEOPLE IN THEIR UNDERWEAR and take photographs of them apparently
i know what you're thinking. you're thinking "wow i bet this would make a lot of Soylent Green." i know it because that's what i'm thinking too.
Soylent Green is made of people, you know.
____________________________________________________
I am going to tell you a story about a spider. This spiders name was Irving, don't ask me why, I know most spiders you see hanging around are female, this one was, but it's name is Irving so I'll just go on.
This is a picture I took of Irving:
wrong picture.
right picture.
this is a Phiddipus johnsonii, also called the Bold Jumping Spider.
here is Irving on my front window, grooving on the twinkle lights.
That single little spider absolutely took care of the problem my plants were having with fungus gnats. I mean that spider wiped them out.
I found Irving in the back entryway and brought her inside, and dumped her into the middle of my houseplants. A few days later I found a spider midden loaded with little gnatty carcasses. I even mentioned it here at Steve. I thought 'Well done, Irving. Go on with your bad fuzzy self" and Irving did.
I would find her marching all over the front room and kitchen, walls and ceiling. When she caught sight of me, she'd stand there for a few moments in astonishment, and then start shaking her spider fists at me. 'You want to go? You want some? Yeah you don't. I'll beat your ass.'
Other times I'd find her while I was dusting, chilling in the front window, sucking the life forces out of a fly, and she'd brandish that fly at me. 'See this? This could be you. Yeah it could.'
Mostly she hangs out just around the corner of picture frames, drapes and heat register covers. She builds little filmy webs anywhere there is a slight draft and catches flies and gnats by the hundreds, and just does her rounds of each trap.
Irving got really fat. Far from body shaming her choices, I wishher all the best. My plants are happy, I am happy, and the flies are nervous.
This spider really does jump, too. It's an ambush predator, and a really efficient one. She'd leap for a fly from straight off the window and catch it mid-flight, and just fall with it and lay there on the windowsill, little spider fangs sunk into its neck. The most fascinating thing to watch. I mean, I have a life, but I'm also sitting right here in the front window where the spider likes to hang out, right next to my plant tower, and things happen, like spider murder. And I see it.
Anyway that is the story of Irving: Bringer of Death, Terror of Idaho. Long may she sail.











I'm in love with Irving! She's a beast!
ReplyDeleteI adore spiders, no matter whether they're the leaping variety (my fave), the truly creative Orb-web spider, the "daddy-long-legs" spider or even the much-maligned "False Widow" spider. Anything that kills pests has my vote! Jx
Irving Baby comes to mind from Breakfast at Tiffanys! Long live Irving baby!
ReplyDeleteI am also sorry to hear of the terrible woe from your previous post. I invite you to the Casa du Borghese for a "girls night" for drinks and maybe some weed. The houseboys are ever attentive. Still on vacay but just had to let you know you're in my thoughts, no matter how dirty.
The first photo is like a still from a budget version of Kylie's "Slow" video. EXTREMELY budget.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, glad to hear that Irving isn't a metre-long spider that leaps at your face while you're taking a photo (as the first Irving photo appears to be). We have little zebra jumping spiders here who are endlessly fascinating to watch as they jump and dart about. And also very cute and adorable.
Your indoor jungle is coming along nicely (with help from Irving, of course). I expect to see more come the Infomaniac Garden Photos Event.
P.S. I clicked to embiggen the final spider plant photo because I wanted to see what you have stuck to your fridge. Rocky Horror, a judgy turtle, and a shopping list which includes "fartillas" ?!?
P.P.S. "Tuna Oriental"? Ick.
You are back and I am straight away down several Google rabbit holes.
ReplyDeleteHoorah for Irving., like Jon I love all spiders (as long as they are not too close) but but Irving and her sisters looks to be particularly Funky and fun.
After reading Mr De's comment I have an imaginary 'Slob' version of Kylie's "Slow" video playing in my head.
Your gnat free plants are fab and I look forward to seeing them at the 'Garden Event'.
The Tuna Oriental sounds far more scary than any spider !
1 large can of Tuna, 2 cans macaroni cheese, can of Mandarin oranges, can mushrooms, instant onions? and one can chow mein noodles. That's a grocery shopping list not a recipe! Canned chow mien noodles is that even a real thing?
Yes it is. After sliding down another rabbit hole (one the I wish I hadn't,) I found this on Youtube.
https://youtu.be/oUGZDXC1Ty8?si=710G9BC9FebQJRv7
and once again, lovely to have you back x
Actually this does sound like a fun watch! I do watch spiders cocooning flies. I even fed a spider once. That said, I am a little nervous around them as they do move fast.
ReplyDeleteSx
I Loved this Story of Irving the Pet Spider you have successfully Domesticated... is she Aware I wonder? My Welsh Nanna always kept a Pet Spider in her Back Sunroom where her Plants were in North Wales. Here in Arizona I Welcome the Daddy Long Legs coz they actually kill off any of the Poisonous Spiders that can bite a Human, like the Black Widow. Daddy Long Legs are actually more toxic but have little Mouths so are no danger to Humans. I probably know more about Spiders than I should, but they are very intelligent little Creatures. I get Video Feeds of people with their pet Spiders interacting with them, and recently one of a Guy's interactive Praying Mantis, she was Huge and had quite the personality.
ReplyDeleteSpider love! I have not seen many around here... not sure why. But I'll have a closer look when I hang the laundry out...
ReplyDeleteWe seem to have fewer spiders (particularly Orb-web ) in our garden than when we first arrived, but, as I said to Madam A, we have a lot more birds (wrens, robins and tits) foraging among our plants from quite early on in the season, so presumably the spiderlings have been food for their hatchlings. Jx
DeleteI will never forget the day I opened our front door in Savannah only to find a HUGE Banana spider (that's what they called them in SAV) and I screamed like a little girl! I'm glad you khave a slightly more civilized one! xoxo
ReplyDelete