Wednesday, June 26, 2024

The Cookbook Haul - breathless excitement ahead


Hey sports fans!

What do we have today?  We have COOKBOOKS DAMMIT.

And I mean a metric shit-ton of cookbooks too, all of them unread.  Witness my shame:


     I cannot wait to crack into that Sunset book!  I owned that way back when I was but a wee Nationette, like a territory, and there's a Vermouth Chicken recipe in there that is absolutely superb.  And get a load of Mr. Oster Super Pan with his cape and everything!  EEE! 




Those ESA gals are out there making casseroles and just abusing the Cambells Soups.  It's atrocious.  
Fixin' Chicken is...adorable; profusely adorned with wacky chickens in pun vignettes.  
The onion cookbook was put together by some farmers' wife and illustrated by that kid in the family that everyone says can draw.  You'll get a peek, don't worry. This is the post where I gloat, so yeah, just put up with me doing that for the time being.



Oh Hell Yes

Hell Yeah I got 'em both!!!!!! JULIA!!!! 
Fifteen bucks replaces the ones I lost in the flood, and these are in better condition!



You might notice I have a thing for Sunset Cookbooks. I use these. They're really good. Sunset put a lot of effort into testing, collecting and presenting original recipes - and their recipes WORK. 




Sunset isn't fucking around. Their cookbook for men contains fear and boldness and booze and fire and wild game.  Possibly leather and kung fu. 




The Modern Household Cookery Book is a corker!  Just wait until you see inside!  And it is, in fact, Fun To Fondue.  As for Hawaii, we shall see. I'm expecting a lot of pineapple.  Of course the Sunset is gonna be good. And oh, the clip art in the New Way of Living!!!



Holy shit Nations more Sunsets? 
 YES MORE SUNSETS.


Mary Meade and Farmers' Journal are going to be a snoozefest, I think.  But the Practical Receipts?  Has recipes for horse liniment, caustic washing soap and explosives




   The tomato cookbooks are going to be nothing special, I fear, but the Pampered Chef booklet might be good. 

Pampered Chef is a 'home party' outfit that sells kitchenware - good kitchenware, too.  I've been to three of these parties and bought way too much at each one.  If you ever get invited to a Pampered Chef party, you should go. The chow is amazing.  Your hostess and her assistant cook up a whole feast using Pampered Chef utensils AND recipes created in their test kitchens, which is brilliant strategy IMHO.  

   



America's Test Kitchen:   The most overpriced and overrated cookbooks out there.  I have OPINIONS about this outfit.  (I also subscribe to the magazine and the YouTube series.  The stuffs' good - but read on me hearties; arrrrrrr.)   This thing new is $71.00.  SEVENTY-ONE DOLLARS PEOPLE.  And it's ring bound! Come on!
I bought this cookbook used for $1.00 because it made me feel like I'd got one over on Chris Kimball.



That is absolutely enough kitcheny-ness.  I feel like lighting some WD-40 on fire now.


As you can see, I didn't have any WD40 but I did have a can of de-icer, so I set that on fire instead. You can just barely, barely see it burning blue there by the yellow flame of the incense stick.


NEXT: A look inside!!!!


  

8 comments:

  1. That is quite the selection. My dearly departed aunt had both of those Julia Child cookbooks....they will come to me when my uncles moves. But like my aunt, Im sure Julia would cringe and question the White Trash Cookbook. I suppose there are 99 ways to prepare spam dishes and cocktail franks, with a side of squirrel meat???

    I can also appreciate that you staged each selection of books by moving or editing the brand name props lambchop. I spied the Mt Olive and Spam cans. But no Hormel or Amour products???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come now, I have SOME dignity. I mean Spam, yeah; but Hormel? Shirley, you jest.

      Delete
  2. So many excellent, excellent cookbooks. When I sold my house, part of my downsizing was jettisoning all my cookbooks, a decision I regret now. I had the enormous Best of America's Test Kitchen, which was a gem. Ah me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that, I really do. But guess what? Since Kimball jumped ship, prices for ATK publications have dropped about 40%. Tell one of the pool boys to go grab you another copy!

      Delete
  3. What the.....my comment disappeared!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 3 of the cookbooks you posted (you can guess)* and also, the newest America's Test Kitchen Cookbook that the MITM ordered for $19.95! *(ok, you'll never guess 1 of them!! because it was a giftand not purchased by me) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Consider me breathless. Actually, I'm just waiting for Madam Arcati to catch up with this one... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the covers are excellent! I am a fan of vintage fonts and illustrations so I'm looking forward to the peek inside.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete