More unsophisticated encounters with booze!
Years ago, I used to make Vermouth chicken, which was just chicken baked in 2/3 cup of vermouth with some shallot and butter, salt and pepper. It was DELICIOUS. But because this was something I used to cook for two previous significant others (who turned out to be not so excellent), I decided to drop it from the ol' repertoire.
But then I thought 'Hey. I've been with this one for 43 years. Maybe the Curse of the Vermouth Chicken is broken.' So last week I had The Biker go hit the liquor store and get me some dry white vermouth. This is the little tiny thing he brought back:
...and he claimed that not only was it the only vermouth for sale, it was as expensive as Grey Goose vodka.
"Oh no," I thought.
"But then really, how different is one vermouth gonna be from another?" I also thought.
And so I used it.
After 10 minutes my place smelled like a chicken that needed to join AA. It was AWFUL. Our eyes were burning! Even worse was the taste - straight white liquor with a strong, oily flavor of lavender.
I was able to salvage the chicken, although I literally had to rinse it under the tap and then hide it under a Mexican sauce.
The only use I can think of for this vermouth is if you had to run an alcohol burner under a chafing dish, and wanted the room to smell like burned lavender.
I'm certain one of you clever people out there know what 's up with this stuff, or about vermouth in general, or even about both things. Please clue me in. The stuff I used to use was like a Liebfraumilch with a flavor of thyme. This stuff tasted like brake cleaner.

Loved this
ReplyDeleteOh, these Midwestern gourmet types, and their high-fallutin' ways!
ReplyDeleteThe Carpano website describes it thus:
"Carpano Dry has its origins in a traditional recipe enriched with the experience of Distillerie Branca through their choice and use of raw materials, their respect and regard for tradition through innovation and with the contribution of Luca Gardini, many times World Sommelier champion."
No mention of burnt lavender, unsurprisingly. However, it doesn't say what the "raw materials" are, either. One of them could be lighter fluid, I guess...
Jx
PS I didn't know you were fluent in Dutch.
DeleteObviously I know nothing, though I agree with Jon regarding the non-disclosure of raw materials - they could be anything!
ReplyDeleteSx
Perhaps you used to drink Cinzano or Martini & Rossi vermouth, Ms Nations?
ReplyDeleteI'd have a go with Liebfraumich riesling; you could toss in a sprig of rosemary...
ReplyDelete