Saturday, June 24, 2023

Mayonnaise Soul Attack!!!

 I live in the woods.  

DROP THE BEAT!

Bam YEAH, YEAH, YEAH, YEAH hey TWO, TWO, THREE FOUR yeah-     


This is the street that leads to my apartment:

In the woods!  In the woods!   

Here within the scope of this image there are  (masses of blackberry all in a vapor of white, delicate bloom) three 65 unit apartment complexes on the right, nine suburban homes on the left, and straight ahead?  An international airport just beyond the trees.  And anywhere from five to nine people living in the Winnebago parked up there. 
This stuff is in the woods.  

What's in the woods, woods woods? Yeah, in da woods. In da woods. 
That drive thru hut is In Da Woods. In Da Woods. Yup in da woods. 
Usta sell coffee in da woods! 
Now you get ganja In Da Woods!
\Yeah! 
(police whistle, car revving, folks yelling encouraging things)


 Five city blocks away, this is the marijuana outlet I frequent.  Behind it is part of a mini-mall and a supermarket I go to.  I'm up on an overpass, so out of frame is I-5, just under my tires.  It's all in the woods.  
Two.  Three. Four.


This is the view from my front door.  As you can see, we're in the woods. 
In the woods. 
In the woods. 
In the woods yeah. MarkHEYyeahHEY yeahHEYmark HEYdown YEAH!two.. three.. four... 


This is the O'Reilly's auto parts store a mile from where I live, next to a Taco Time.  They're in the woods. In the woods. In the woods. In the woods. 


This is a Wendys right across the lot from the Taco Time.  It is in the woods. 
The fuckin' woods. 
Bears in the woods yeah, In the Woods TRAP! two three four HOLLABACK! Yeah! two three four...


Behind me is a Wal-Mart store. It's in the woods. Yes it is. In the woods. With the trees. And the freaks. In the woods.

I couldn't get a picture of the Wal Mart because I was waiting for the light on a four-lane highway  (539) that runs from Alaska, through Canada and down into...basically South America.  Yeah, this section, from Kelly Road to roughly Prince Avenue?  Is in the woods.

Sweet Adeline! In da woods! Ain't She Sweet!  In da woods! Goodnight Sweetheart, in da woods! Shallow grave! In da woods!


It's no wonder that I have so goddamn many raccoons.
_________________________________________________________


I have been going out into Whatcom County taking pictures, and I'm going to post a series.  They're going to be unadorned, non-arty, average pictures of what's on the ground here, now, in what was the real, honest to God, rootin' tootin' Old West...and whatever else I come up with until I get bored. I've always wanted to do a non-scenic, average Joe look at America in these parts, and dammit, now is the time.

Be prepared for a lot of average shots, but!  There will be surprises, whimsey, and biting social commentary.  Everything you've come to expect from a woman who goes around in public wearing an armadillo t-shirt.  

Coming up next:  What Rural America Looks Like When It's Not Whining About How Fucked Over A Farmers' Life Is!


I can tell you're just tingling with antici





















  ...pation!       



7 comments:

  1. I couldn't help thinking of some doggerel I half-remember from way back...Google obliged (sort-of)
    Nov 12, 2015, 9:42:30 PM
    to
    On Wednesday, 8 December 2010 20:26:37 UTC, sim...@rev132.com wrote:
    > Can anybody point me to the complete text of vulgar statements and
    > responses that I used to hear recited when I did UK national service
    > in the fifties?

    S. To the woods, to the woods.
    R. But I'm only thirteen years old.
    S. I'm not superstitious. To the woods!
    R. Mother wouldn't like it.
    S. Mother's not getting any. To the woods!
    R. I'll tell the vicar.
    S. I am the vicar. To the woods!
    R. I'll scream.
    S. How loud can you scream?
    R. aaaah.
    S. To the woods!
    --

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your photos-of-the everyday blog idea is a great one. It could really catch on; the People of Walmart blog had to start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete