Saturday, June 17, 2023

Sing Us A Song You're The Banana Man

 If you came here looking for a banana man, he's at the very end of this post, and you'll be glad he's there to sing you a sweet banana lullaby after this mess.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I gave in and bought a vintage cookbook. Yeah, I'm weak. I thought I'd put vintage cookbooks behind me five or six years ago, but the pull was just too strong. The instant I saw it I had to get this classic from my childhood:

Ta daaa!  Ta da ta da ta daaaaa!   

My mom had this cookbook. EVERYBODY had this cookbook.  This is the culinary identity of Milwaukie, Oregon c. 1964 - 1975 (when sun dried tomatoes came in.)

I'm going to note here:  any ingredient or combination of ingredients I mention from here on out is actually in this cookbook.  Don't come crying to me afterward like you weren't warned because you were.

See, back when cows weren't a critically endangered species like they are now, if price is anything to go by, ground beef was for folks on a budget, which was a euphemism for poor.  Of course, we were ALL on a budget.  But! If you zhuzhed up that ground beef with stuff like burgundy, deviled ham out of a can or cinnamon, well that was a horse of a different flavor. The more obscure the ingredients, the merrier. It said 'I shop like a rich person.' The more obscene the combination, the better. It made you look adventurous and broad-minded. Therefore:    

 If you mushed bananas into the ground beef, fried that, and dumped a red wine sauce made using orange marmalade over it -  JACKPOT BABY YOU WIN! 

Yes. That is a real recipe out of this book.

 

"This is my fault. I am the one who brought you here. I am the one that said "keep

reading I dare you." I am the one who is gonna write about raw liver. It is my fault,

because it is my blog. Everything has to be my way. And this is where we've

ended up and it's all because of me."


 Crimes against mankind aside, half the recipes in here are pretty good. (Naturally, we won't be spending much time on them. This is Steve, baby.)  I can say that for a fact because I've had about 3/4 of the stuff in The Ground Beef Cookbook.  They're the dishes I remember eating when we had guests, at friends' homes, after funerals and at lodge picnics and reunions.  You got familiar with them quickly, seeing them at every potluck and buffet, and knew your favorites.  The trick, as a kid, was to go through the line authoritatively or you'd get some old bag chasing you around with Campbells Soup Green Beans, squash casserole, or some sauerkrauty abomination insisting you eat some vegetables. You had to use strategy. You had to step into the middle of the line and quickly occupy your paper plate territory with delicious Spanish Meatballs and keep on moving. No more room for Bean Salad, Gladys! **

Because this cookbook was published in 1965, there are many horrible, inappropriate, and scary ingredients in use. There is far too much soy sauce, for starters. It doesn't need to be in everything. There is ketchup all over the place. There are canned tamales. Used as an ingredient. 

LOOK AT THEM.  
 

Lunchmeat. Cornflakes. Raw liver. White bread and wheat bread. Potted meat product. Eggplant in places where eggplant does not belong. American cheese. Bologna. Bananas.  Oatmeal. Canned prunes.  Karo Syrup and way, way, way too much Worcestershire sauce. 

Not that Worcestershire sauce isn't good, it is - but because back in the day, all we had was Frenches' terrible Worcestershire sauce. Everybody's mom, per Frenchs' magazine campaign 'Make hamburger night zesty!' was already dumping that stuff in their meatloaf and hamburgers by the half-cup, and it was awful. All you could taste was vinegar, indigestion and brownness. 

Utter complete garbage Worcestershire sauce     

Once Lea and Perrins hit the shelves, even us 'budget' people started buying it.  Fuck French's Worcestershire. Fuck it in the heart.

When seasonings are used, they are used in minute 1/4 teaspoon amounts. Tabasco sauce is measured out by the drop like it's plutonium.  All chili powder is mild and used in trace amounts, and the chili sauce called for is the weird stuff in the bottle that isn't even hot and has no chilis in it at all. None. I don't understand it and it frightens me.

 In contrast, tomatoes - canned, peeled, unpeeled, chopped, pureed, stewed, whole, sauce, paste, ketchup, tomato soup, oh my yes, throw all the tomatoes at that ground beef. All of them except the fresh, raw kind. 

'cuz fresh tomatoes are the Devil!    

I love that so many of the recipes here have glam names - well, glamourous for blue-collar Oregon of the early 1960's.  Indian Meatballs, for example. It is a perfectly mundane meatball recipe save for the addition of soy sauce, bran cereal flakes (??) and exactly 3/4 teaspoon of sugar. What makes them Indian?  Which Indians do they mean? Where did they get bran flakes?

Watercress Beef Patties with Oriental Sauce contains a shake of allspice. I think the shake of allspice is what makes it Oriental. Or maybe I'm wrong.  Could be the watercress.  Could be the Worcestershire sauce.

Beef Tomato Swirls sounds like something a ballerina conjured up in her Parisian garret one rainy Sunday afternoon, doesn't it? What it is, is ground chuck, Worcestershire sauce, canned tomato soup and cheddar cheese.  Rolled into a log, baked, and...sliced.  Now, this tastes OK. But it doesn't swirl at all. It doesn't have a swirl design either. It looks like a grey CD lying on your plate bleeding grease. 


Here is a picture of a jolly jack tar dancing with a can of corned beef. I hope he doesn't step in that leghold trap someone left on the deck.  


Coffee Glazed Hamburger Patties are said to have a 'surprising' flavor, which I'm sure they do, given the half- cup of rolled oats in there. For the glaze? Oho.  You dump a half-cup of ketchup into a half-cup of cold coffee and let your patties blurble around in that mixture until the excess liquid evaporates and voila - trauma. 

German Meatballs contain brown sugar, allspice and nutmeg - which tracks, actually. Oh, but if they'd only put in some caraway too. Then they could have called them UberGerman Meatballs.  

This is the most German dude on the Internet and he is playing German Meatball Tennis. If you throw a meatball at him he catches it in his mouth. If you don't he whaps you with the racquet.    


The worst concoction in The Sunset Ground Beef Cookbook is on page 34. Now, on page 35, there is a recipe for Meatloaf With Prunes, which is frankly vile, but must take the silver because it is something you might feed a parrot and it would be good for the parrot. No, our winner is an agglomeration of random, pointless indecency that mocks the entire concept of food. 

 Before you continue, you need to sprinkle a circle of salt around yourself OK? Light a few candles. do a novena. This is going to be really, really bad. 

First, there is 

THE LOAF.  It is an average loaf.  You're feeling safe.  Right?

Then, there is THE FROSTING.  Who thought 'Hey, you know what would be a trip is if we put frosting on a meatloaf! You know, like it's a cake, but it's really a meatloaf!'  Bad toilet people is who. 

The frosting is made of boiled and mashed sweet potatoes, mixed with chopped onion, brown sugar and cinnamon. You slap it on the loaf and slide it around until that meaty loaf is entirely orange and smells like a forgotton pumpkin pie in the trash.  Here. Have an antacid. OK now let's continue.   

There is a sauce for this frosty, meaty loaf.  Oh yeah there is. 

THE SAUCE

Onions. Green pepper. Celery. Garlic. 

Margarine. 

Lemon Juice. 

White Sugar.  Mustard. 

Cinnamon. 

Four drops of Tabasco - no more, no less!

HALF A CUP OF EFFIN' KETCHUP.

AND HALF A CUP OF 


RAISINS.

__________________________________________________________________________________




**Come on, Americans, you all remember this stuff.  It is simply not a smorgasbord without the damn Bean Salad, with all those little beans pressed up against the clear plastic bowl like the faces of drowned sailors.

1 can red kidney beans, extra bland

1 can cut green beans, extra bland

1 can garbanzo beans, extra bland

1 can black-eye beans, extra bland

2 1/2 cups minced celery

1 bunch green onions, chopped 

1 tiny, tiny clove of garlic, minced

one small jar stuffed green olives, sliced

1 can sliced black olives

1/2 cup salad oil

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

2 tablespoons brown sugar - Oh hell, make it four

Salt and pepper because that's what people do

You have ten minutes. 

1. Light up a smoke. 

2. Open and drain all the jarred and canned ingredients. 

-Nah, just open them and dump them in that bowl. Yeah.

3. Chop whatever needs chopping.

4. Dump all ingredients into a bowl and mix. Add salt and pepper just to say you did. Cover with Saran Wrap and put in the trunk of the car because 'It's winter so it'll cool off by the time we get there.'  

Now here's your banana man.

*sings to Mr. Peenee* "Oh banana mio, oh, go to sleep now, banana, avoid the monkeys, my sleepy bananaaaaaaaaa, my sleepy banana child."

21 comments:

  1. The raisins slayed me! Dead! Oh, the horror.

    I collect vintage cookbooks and my favorite WTF recipes are the ones that have creative uses for aspic gelatine molds. They were often...creative. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dang, I had so many of those! Knox Gelatine was out for America's tastebuds! I had a recipe on my kitchen wall for years back in Sumas: Jello Mold with Cherry Jello, Black Olives, White Grapes, and Tiny Marshmallows. It was out of a Sunday shiny sheet, and someone had lovingly clipped it and tucked it into their church cookbook. Man, I'd have lost touch with God after a mouthfull!

      Delete
  2. I used to have nightmares at some of the recipes in an American magazine.(Some in NZ magazines were also scary) But that German fellow? Sweet Jesus! If he put on a MAGA hat he'd be asking you to vote for him and the GOP. Probably serves the loaf at fund-raisers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in an area where a lot of Old World people had settled in the pioneer days. This dude looks like my childhood. Fact. Give him an old, greeny-black suit and a gabardine flat cap and he could be sitting in my grandma's yard telling dirty jokes in Thuringian. I have to say, he DOES look like a Republican born and bred, doesn't he? Good spot! XOO

      Delete
  3. Meatloaf with prunes?!?!?!?! Sweet Mary Sunshine toots, I'd be on the terlet all damn day. Where is the peto????? I'm surprised there was no jello with franks recipe?

    Or is there??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No jello recipes in this cookbook, sadly, or not. I don't know how you feel about savory jello creations. I have seen the Jello Hot Dog IRL. I have seen people eat the Jello Hot Dog IRL. Doll, it was LIME FREAKIN' JELLO.

      Delete
    2. I suspect that Letitia Cropley from the Vicar of Dibley would adore this recipe book.

      Delete
  4. Before I Nope out of here, I would just like to say:
    Ah, that's how zhuzh - as in "zhuzhed up" - is spelled. Thank you!
    And the tamales bamboozled me - I couldn't make out what kind of vegetable or bit of animal they were, so I looked them up. Ohhhh... That's what they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to be of service! Yeah, canned tamales come floating in some kind of sauce, wrapped in little pieces of paper, and you dump them out of the can, heat them up, and regret it.

      Delete
  5. Sweet Mary Sunshine, sweetpea! WTAF was happening back in the day with y'all? I know in MY house food was real and it was fuckin' GOOD. My Grandma was a piece of work, but she could cook (yeah, she lived with us) and my Mama was a delightful and inventive cook. I know now we were poor, but back then who the fuck knew, right? xoxo
    p.s. I read your warning, but I was intrigued, astounded and then delighted by the delicious banana man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO LUCKY. I grew up in an area that was up until the late 1950's very rural, and populated by people of modest means whose first language was generally not English. Their idea of food was boil, add sugar and caraway, boil again and brag all during the meal about how much you hate what you're eating. I do not lie. This was every single dinner with my grandma (whom I love and revere to this day) I can remember. With a supermarket literally five blocks away, they still ate the same old horrible things and were absurdly proud of it. Got sick, lost teeth, had heart problems, just proud as heck. (The Banana Man is a delightful fellow, I agree.)

      Delete
  6. I am convinced recipes like this are the result of some awful game Madge and the girls used to play where they would pull cards with random ingredients on them and then were required to make something out of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY you visited! As soon as I found the Banana Man I thought of you. And I disavow all knowledge of any such card game. *ahem*

      Delete
  7. The Madam, being a chef, collects cookbooks of all varieties - 300+ and counting. Needless to say, there are some truly horrific recipes among them... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a Mrs. Beetons. I've seen the Boiled Sheep Head. Also had a copy of Vegetarian Inspirations (UK) that had what looked like a baked manhole cover on the front. It was a pizza, I think!

      Delete
    2. ...holy Christ. Using the severed wings of a dove as garnish? What the absolute fuck?????? Oh I gotta get a copy of THAT! XOO!

      Delete
    3. You really need the full "Fanny experience"! She's been a cult figure over here for years, and her (terrifying) cookery series still gets regularly repeated on TV... Jx

      Delete
    4. What?!! Crass Craddock still gets air-time?
      When TV finally reached NZ in the early 60s, we had Graham Kerr, who was a good cook and amusing. His signature seemed to be the "short slurp" (large glass of red) as he gently stirred things.

      Delete
    5. Oh, Graham Kerr "The Galloping Gourmet" was a massive hit here in the 1970s, too! He's still alive, and will be 90 next year... Jx

      Delete
    6. GRAHAME KERR OMG I learned how to cook from his program! I have his first two published cookbooks from that show! My mother and I were two of his biggest fans. She thought he was sexy as hell. I remember he was always sloshed by the time the program ended. Dude was so cool!

      Delete