Monday, September 18, 2023

HOLY SHIT THINGS HAPPENED

 NEWS- 

The upstairs neighbor has moved out!  Of course she took her damn time about it; a whole month in fact, while we glimpsed her and her funky bunch sauntering up and down the stairs with a box here and a lamp there, all the while hoping to Christ they were actually leaving.  

Did I go upstairs and check the place out once it was empty?  Yes I absolutely did.  Wonder of wonders, it was pristine.  And I was happy about that. Well done, annoying neighbor. And while I am generally a sociable and tolerant old lady, good motherfucking riddance you skanky goddamn ghetto RAT.

Too harsh? 

NEWS- 

The raccoons have moved on!  Why did the raccoons move their communal outhouse, you ask?  Because the Biker took a shovel and scattered their haystack of crap out in the weeds, and kept doing that until the nasty animals got tired of anally re-establishing their shit collection and opted for other locales. 

Aren't you glad you know this?  Didn't you come here specifically to read about people flinging raccoon shit? I know you did. That's why I wrote about it.

NEWS-

I have started another study project, which makes eight now.  This study project is about old, weird, rare cookbooks. I have been online typing my fingers to the damn bone digging this stuff out; and making folders and organizing the information so that it slots in with other study projects I have going - hence my absence from your personal blogospheres.  

Yes. This is what I do for fun. Obsessively.

I hate to tell you how many ongoing study projects I've been pursuing. OK eight. OK fine there's one I've been engaged in for fifty-one years. 

Seriously. It's what I do for fun.

The Internet has been my fondest dream come true. You'd be surprised at how much amazing stuff is out there is in the public domain, for FREE! - and by just how many 'public domains' there are!  Any title I might be interested in has a 90% chance of being on Hathi Trust, Internet Archive, Project Gutenberg or JSTOR - but there are thousands of other open sources! This is why another project of mine consists of amassing a folder full of those links and an explanatory blurb for each one. God I love tabulation. 

The worst side effect of all this study is Needing Desperately To Own Source Volumes.  

There I am in front of the screen, and looky at that - there's Amazon, Ebay, Etsy, and all the other sales platforms, and me with a PayPal account. WHAM a package hits the door, and I scuttle out and grab it, unwrap it, gloat over the contents, then dispose of the wrapping in the dumpster lest the Biker see it and sigh that sigh he does.

So on the one hand I'm a bitter vengeful old harridan who glories in the absence of my young, ignorant and sadly obsessed with sleaze upstairs neighbor; and on the other I am an ivory tower self-isolating nerd who loves obscure shit and is an obsessive organizer.

I fart in your general direction. Sue me.


12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the upstairs neighbour and the racoons!
    More detail about the study projects, please!
    Your study projects sound more edifying than my shoe hoarding, and Pinterest habit.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hoard shoes? Dang. You know who else hoards shoes? The Biker. And he is a fashionista when it comes to trendy footwear, which I sadly do not get for the life of me (she said while wearing Crocs.) I must know more about your shoe hoarding!

      Delete
  2. And without the upstairs neighbor and the raccoons there to distract you, think of the time and concentration you'll have on even more study projects. I feel like I should give you a few for me to look up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, that's exactly what happened?! It really is like some kind of heavy vibe left with her. So what kind of study project would you propose??????

      Delete
  3. It was very good of the Biker to disperse the raccoon shit, but perhaps they left because they were your neighbor's pets. They sound like an ideal match. Maybe your neighbor WAS the raccoons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "A study project about old, weird, rare cookbooks"? You should speak to my other half, Madam Arcati - who is a chef, and has amassed a collection of more than 300 physical cookbooks and a "virtual collection" of dozens more... Jx

    PS Raccoons, with their wizened little "Donald Trump hands" are freaky! And I thought squirrels and foxes were bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, congrats on losing the vermin! I suspect as someone else mentioned, an inter-relationship between the too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two great minds thinking alike. Now I'm wondering if I should buy a couple of those brujeria candles they have at WalMart...

      Delete
  6. My dear, Steve - Because.
    The adorable Dolores Delargo brought your post to my attention.
    Oh my golly gosh I am so glad he did. I can relate to everything in it apart from the racoons but we have Squirrels sent from hell and they must be equal in evil to your racoons.

    When it comes to starting new projects I am there with you. I have far more in process than I could ever manage and still keep starting new ones. My main obsession is cookery books.
    I have 288 books at the moment. and another 193 complete PDF books saved on my computer.

    Like you I am not bothered about the ordinary I want the classic, Historic and rare.
    I have been lucky to find reprints of some wonderful things.
    If I can't have the book I will do my best to digitally download it, mainly from Internet Archive and Project Gutenberg. I do not know the other sites you mentioned but think they are student pass only.

    I only blog the garden, perhaps I should start doing Madam Arcati - Cooks the Books or just blog some of the fab books that I have?

    So lovely to know that there are people out ther as mad as me
    I would love to know what historic books you have in your enviable collection.
    Ttfn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear ! I am a rubbish blogger. The post above is not Anonymous It's me, Madam Arcati. xxx

      Delete