Friday, December 11, 2020

OH NO

 So our television fried, and the Bejewelled Biker brought home a Smart TV.  A Samsung.  It rhymes with 'piece of shit.'

I am now living in George Orwells' 1984. This thing can and will watch ME.  It wants to connect to all our devices and it can detect them all from our internet bringer inner thingie

 - router.  Hello, router.  Sorry I forgot your name.  Please don't hurt me.

I am freaking OUT.  I do NOT want a smart home.  I do not need my television talking to my laptop or my phone.  Or watching me.  And it has a direct internet connection as part of the package, you can Skype on it, so there's a camera in there someplace and I want it DISABLED. 

NEVER buy a Samsung.  Setting it up is like trying to break into Fort fucking Knox.  They rush you through the terms with a set-up password that you only have a limited amount of time to use before it disappears forever, so you can't read all the terms even if you wanted to.  The site won't let you create an account from your laptop - oh, it says it will, but try. I did.  You end up in a closed loop of account confirmation. No, Samsung wants to own your phone.  I don't have a smartphone.  The hubs does.  Both of our devices in the same room, and it wants the phone.  Fine.  It got the phone. 

Still, we've been chipping away at this monster for close to an hour now and we still can't get the goddamn thing to play a movie or show anything but more sign in screens and then - black screen, back out, try again, more passwords, more accounts, more emails, more onscreen navigating with their astoundingly cheesy remote....FUCK THIS THING IN THE HEART.

UPDATE:  After dealing with this thing for less than four hours, we've decided to return it.  It's a piece of garbage...slow as molasses, with bad speakers and lots of interruptions.  Our poor late lamented cheapo Vizio was it's superior in every way.  And that's what we'll be buying. 

9 comments:

  1. I don't own a tv or a "smart phone". neither does spouse. FUCK TECHNOLOGY! and do not buy (cr)apple products either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the Dowager Countess of Grantham on Downton Abbey said- "Are these devices items of convenience or torture?"

    I tend to agree. I have a dumb blond home myself. Although my smart phone I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. anne marie in philly: The BB has to have a smart phone for work. I have a cheapo burn phone. I have no reason to use my phone to turn on my stove, or to check the contents of my refrigerator. And those are things! No wonder we're a nation of fatasses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mistress Maddie: The last thing in the world I want is a Ray Bradbury 'Fahrenheit 451' home. There is no reason in the world that my washing machine needs a goddamn computer chip, but it has one. I don't want a smartphone because 1. The first thing I'd do would be drop it in the sink or the toilet or something. 2. I use a phone to call people. That's it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear I have dropped my phone in the toilet already....and luckily it was before I exploded. It still worked only because I retrieved it quick enough. But then again someone told the phone I have works underwater. Had a already dropped off the babies, well, lets just say Mr Hankie the Christmas Poo could have made my Christmas cards this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a Samsung smart-arse phone. It is not connected to a network, but I find the camera easier to carry than a bagful of lenses.As a phone? Complete waste of time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an iPhone. It works, but it's only slightly in sync with my MAC. I don't want a smart house either! We had the Savannah house connected to my phone, so if I was out late or we were away, we could turn on lights in the house. Did we need it? Probably not. I'll never do it again, though. Glad your TV is working, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete