Friday, May 21, 2021

MILWAUKIE! NOT Milwaukee! MILWAUKIE, OREGON!!

 I should have made this more specific.  This is all my fault.  Everyone makes this mistake.

The town I grew up in was MILWAUKIE, Oregon.  OREGON.  MILWAUKIE.


The town where they make the beer, and where Fonzie and Happy Days took place is MilwaukEE, Wisconsin.  

Yes, my hometown is named after the Wisconsin town, but people didn't really spell very well back in those days and they drank a lot too.  That is literally the reason we were taught in school - "Why is it named Milwaukie instead of MilwaukEE?"  Because it was named by undereducated drunks. No shit.

10 comments:

  1. So Portland, Your from Portland. Hahaha. When I travel I say I'm from Seattle-ish, because no one knows where the fuck Woodinville is unless they're from around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all a mystery to me, sweetie.

    I'm from a little place in Wales called Caerleon (and I bet there's not a similarly-named town to that in the States!

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. BIG difference!

    I grew up in paoli PA. there is a paoli WI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from Coburg. It's our destiny to rule over uneducated drunks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you may oick the "journal" in question from this list here.
    They link to worldcat so it is possible to learn what is kept where and to locate a copy near you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. not "oick", sorry I meant of course "pick", like in prick, just without "R".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melanie: Could be worse. You could be from Black Diamond. Yeah, I used to live in Seattle. I know. MLK Way? Carnation? International District? Mercer Island? White (Rat) City? All Seattle, all NOT Seattle...and then there's TACOMA. AAAAAAAAAA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jon: There does not seem to be a single Caerleon here in the states, which I find odd, because I live down the road from Rome. And it's true. All roads lead to it. (Look up Rome Grocery, WA)

    ReplyDelete
  9. anne marie in philly: I think you have every right in the world to have a Paoli PA. More places should have one. Someone should write a letter, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 62Mago: You live in Franconia. It's your destiny to rule over toilet planters.

    ReplyDelete